Thursday, May 23, 2013

Procrastination Addict

Yep.  That's me.  The procrastination addict.  We're going away for the Memorial Day weekend, leaving tomorrow and coming back Tuesday.  There are thunderstorms on the horizon, the sky darkening by the second, bigt raindrops just started splatting on the deck.  I can barely see the keys on my laptop anymore.  But here I'll struggle to see, and to write a blog post for the first time in a month, after 3 years, because I don't want to pack.

I have My Little Pony on to keep the girls occupied so I can concentrate on packing - HA!  I mean, concentrate on procrastinating.  I have piles of laundry and a giant suitcase open on the floor.  I'm SO CLOSE to just doing it and being done.  But packing 6 people for 5 days takes coordination, counting skills, and patience.  I have none of those.  So here I sit, and write.

Even the kids are WAAAYYY ahead of me.  They have 10 pretend suitcases, packed to the point where they had to sit on them to close them, full of my little ponies, a pair of Winx Club wings, a baby-doctor medicine dropper, ya know... all the shit the kids play with every day but none of it actually goes together.  No clothes, just shit tons of toys.  (Which they surely could get by on for 5 days straight - the clothes on their backs and toys.  Too bad I can't.)

(By the way, it's now so dark I can't even see the keys anymore, so it's taking twice as long to type, having to fix all these mistakes.  I really should turn on some lights.  But with my luck, that would be a flag like, "Hey!!  We still have power and it's helping me!  Someone flip the switch!!!")

I know full well that I'll be up until 2 in the morning after using spray shampoo so I can jet out to the stores to get the last minute shit, packing, and procrastinating, wishing the whole time I had finished early so I could relax with my husband who we all know will be in the recliner while I run around like a mad woman.  Then I get to wake up 4 hours later and get the sheets off the beds, don't forget the pillows, everyone get dressed, shit we need to remember juice boxes and snacks, I still need to shower, do you REALLY have to shit right now?!?, why is there yogurt all over the couch, everyone go pee, where are the fucking pillows!?!, tetris-pack the car and leave.  I've always said vacations are great and all, but not nearly worth the amount of work it takes to go on one.  But does any of that knowledge make me get my ass in gear?  Nope.

Clearly I'm not just a chronic procrastinator, I'm also a masochist.

There's only one way to break the cycle... PACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment